SGCA Block Captains and Co-Captains are volunteers who foster a sense of community on the block(s) in the vicinity of their residence/business through consistent communication, exchange of information & neighbor engagement. Recently, the SGCA has enlisted the help of local residents, Elinor Haider & Michael Suh, to help manage and facilitate communication with Block Captains throughout neighborhood.
Block Captain responsibilities include...
- Develop a block/resident communication process to distribute vital information to neighbors (emails, texts, WhatsApp, flyers, newsletter, etc.). Periodically monitor your contact list
- Reach out to new residents to introduce them to neighbors & get them involved.
- Dissemination of key information to residents concerning crime, safety, events.
- Provide a welcome to new neighbors and provide key neighborhood information as well as encouraging them to join the SGCA
- Attendance at monthly Police Service Area - PSA3 meetings (4th Monday of every month via Zoom), or reporting of issues by email in advance to be communicated at the meetings
- Help with trash by picking up, encouraging others to join you, and identifying sources of trash to minimize them
- Encourage adherence to trash collection guidelines (setting trash out at appropriate time in appropriate containers/bags and reminders on delayed trash pick up on holidays)
- Report dead/damaged trees
- Report issues such as graffiti, dumping, potholes, or other city issues to 311
- Reporting crime thru 911 and encouraging neighbors to do the same
- Offering a helping hand with package management to avoid porch pirates
For more information on becoming an SGCA Block Captain, please email email@example.com.